Thursday, December 04, 2008

Nativity Wars & Glittery Snowflakes

After school today the kids made the glittery snowflakes from the latest issue of Family Fun. (I really get my money's worth out of that magazine!)

We put snowflake templates (which I made) under wax paper. The kids used dimensional glittery fabric paint to copy the snowflakes. Once the paint dries, we will peel the snowflakes off the wax paper and stick them on the windows. I made a couple test ones the other day, and it actually works quite well.
























Danielle has been fascinated with our nativity set from the time she was tiny. I gave up last year and agreed she could gently play with it, as is evidenced by the superglue on the donkey and shepherd. Tyler has never cared much about playing with the nativity, but a couple times last year I observed him rearranging the set to resemble the picture on the box.

I brought up the nativity set yesterday and let Danielle arrange it on the end table. She played with it for a little while first. A couple hours later, when Tyler got home from school, he noticed the nativity set. Without saying anything, he looked around for the box, found it, and took it over to the set. He quietly rearranged the figures to look exactly like the picture on the box. Awhile later Danielle decided to play with the figures again and rearranged them to her liking. Awhile after that, Tyler happened to notice the figures were not in their "correct" places. Once again he quietly found the box and lined them back up the "right" way. This behavior has gone on several times just since yesterday. I think this is so funny...and so characteristic of their differences. (When I asked him about it, Tyler didn't realize he did the same thing last year, which I found interesting.) Now that I've called attention to it, they will probably move the figures around just to irritate each other.




1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

The snowflakes are soooo cool!