Wednesday, November 12, 2008

High Hopes

Last night during my nightly surfing ritual, an interview with Jennifer Aniston caught my eye, so I clicked on the title. The article wasn’t really worthy of the time I spent reading it (fortunately I read quickly) but this quote from Aniston regarding marriage made me stop:

"Whoever said everything has to be forever, that's setting your hopes too high. It's too much pressure. And I think if you put that pressure on yourself -- because I did! Fairy tale! It has to be the right one! -- that's unattainable."

What a sad and hopeless view of marriage. No wonder hers didn’t work.

My grandparents were married 60 years. They faced highs and lows, good times and bad, but they faced them all together. My in-laws just celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary, and they still enjoy each other’s company. Next month Ron and I will celebrate our 16th anniversary, with full certainty that we found “the right one”. 16 years is far from “forever”, but it’s a start. I agree that marriage isn’t a fairy tale. It is a very real covenant, a promise between God, and the couple. It is hard and it takes a lot more than just the “feeling” of love. It takes the action of love, hard work and diligent prayer, but a marriage that lasts is attainable. That was God’s plan from the beginning.

1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

Well said!