Sunday, July 20, 2008

Caterpillar Update

This will probably be the last day I can give a caterpillar update because the caterpillars are beginning their metamorphosis. The information that came with the caterpillars said they would be in the larva stage for 7-10 days. Today is day 10, so I guess we're right on schedule. Two of the five are on the top of the cup but aren't hanging down yet. The other three are already hanging upside down, and one of them has started oozing an amber colored substance which I assume will eventually be the chrysalis. It actually is very interesting.


As a point of reference, here's how big they were when we received them a week ago Thursday:

Here are pictures from earlier this week:

Thursday


Friday
You can see all the silk in the cup. It is a sign the caterpillars are healthy. They use it to protect themselves, and they sometimes slept in it (like a hammock).

Saturday

Today (Sunday)


I asked Danielle if she wanted to share anything about her caterpillars that I could post. Turns out she had a lot to say. Tyler had to add his 2 cents, too. She wasn't done when I stopped the video the first time, so there are 2 videos.










5 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

How much did Coke pay you to put their product in your movie?;-)

You know, Tyler not only looks bigger he suddenly sounds older too. And we saw him only two weeks ago!

Lori said...

Funny you mentioned that about the Coke. I thought about saying something about product placement but didn't.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I think both of your kids look so much older! Tyler looks really tall!

Lori said...

I've noticed that about Tyler lately, too. He must be going through a growth spurt. It is summer - maybe too much sun & water!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Caleb's comment: "I want to see butterflies come!" (He was fascinated with Danielle's lesson :)