Saturday, December 01, 2007

Say! I Do Like Green Eggs & Ham!

And I would read it with my son!
And I would consider it much fun.
He could read it in his bed
With me snuggled up near his head.

Tonight I had Tyler pull Green Eggs and Ham off the bookshelf and try reading it before bed. We haven't read it for months, so I knew he wouldn't be reading from memory - he'd actually have to read the words. I was very impressed! He did even better than I thought he would! I think he surprised himself, too. It's a long book for a beginner, but he hung in there until the end. Surprisingly, there was only a handful of words he didn't know. I am just so proud of him.

I decided to try Green Eggs and Ham because I remembered something my aunt told me about why the book was written. Apparently Dr. Seuss's publisher allegedly bet him $50 he couldn't write a book using only 50 different words. (The previous book Dr. Seuss wrote was The Cat in the Hat, which contained over 200 different words.) So, he did. Dr. Seuss used exactly 50 words and 49 of them only have one syllable, making it a very good book for a beginning reader.

I would listen to him here or there
I could listen to him anywhere!
I do so like Green Eggs and Ham.

No comments: