Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Writing on the Wall

There is a song I love by Mark Harris called Writing on the Wall. This is the first part of the song:


I came home from work
She was waiting at the door
Had that bad day look in her eye
Then I heard the sound of little feet across the hardwood floor
And I knelt down with my arms open wide
When I asked her what had happened
She pointed to our son
And said why don't you show your daddy
What you've done

And I could see the writing on the wall
The evidence of little hands
Picasso with a purple crayon
I tried to act upset but I was smiling through it all
I could see the writing on the wall

I think being at home all day with the kids makes me a little less tolerant of the every day childish things our children do simply because they are children. Last night at dinner Danielle did something for the umpteenth time that I found annoying. But when I looked up to see Ron smiling, I was suddenly reminded that she will be 4 for such a short time, and these minor annoyances are really little treasures that will all too soon be forgotten.

No comments: