Monday, September 25, 2006

Ahhhh...Young Love

My son, who usually could care less if his hair gets combed or if his lunch is all over his shirt, stopped me on the way out the door to preschool today. "Look at me, " he said, standing back so I could see all of him. He wanted me to comment on his appearance. When we got in the van, he climbed up into the front seat and flipped the visor down, opening the mirror. "I need to see how I look. Make sure I look ok." He checked out his face and hair and jumped back into his seat. When I asked him why he was suddenly concerned with how he looked, he replied, "I need to be sure I look good for M**. So she'll still like me." I reassured him that it doesn't matter how he looks. As long as he treats his friends with kindness, they'll continue to like him. Of course, I said it all with a huge grin stretching across my face. They are so cute together.

When he got to school, he wasn't even through the threshold yet when he hollered out her name. A smiling face peered around the other kids and yelled, "Tyler!" He threw his jacket next to his hook and ran over to see his friend. Sadly he wasn't quite as happy when I picked him up. Seems another little girl was a little jealous of the attention Tyler was giving M**. The other little girl squeezed herself in between them at snack time and circle time. This same little girl was in the play area at the grocery store this weekend when Tyler & Danielle were in there. She drew a picture for Tyler before he left that day. Ahhh. Young love.

Yesterday when we got home from church, the dogs greeted us at the door. We always crate them when we're gone. They're happy in their crates, and we're happy because they don't get into anything. We must have been in too big a hurry to get to church on time and forgot about them. Ron immediately worried they had gone to the bathroom somewhere. My concern, though, was for the furry hors d'oeuvres sleeping in their cages in the playroom. I cryptically expressed my concern to Ron over the children's heads, and he ran downstairs to check on everyone while the kids were shedding their jackets. The fat rats were sleeping soundly in their cages. Whew! We didn't think much more about it until we were cleaning their cages tonight. When Ron put the cages back, he noticed claw marks on the drywall, just under the window where one of the hamsters was sitting! We think (hope) Hunter was probably just trying to get a closer look.

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

He does seem to be glowing...I just can't believe he's already 5! The little girl I babysit - the one who's 3 - told me Friday that when she grows up she's going to marry Caleb. I don't think Caleb is ready to commit.