Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Picture Day

Today was picture day at the junior high. We used a new photography company this year, and they take the pictures against a green screen. Tyler thought it would be hilarious if he wore a green shirt for his pictures so he would just be a floating head and arms against a rather gaudy "standard" background.  I buy pictures every year just so I have a standard picture that looks relatively the same for each school year, but I usually buy a very small package and I don't usually give them out or frame them. This picture goes in the yearbook, too. I have more than enough photos that I take myself, so, I told him I didn't care what he wore.

He downloaded a green screen app to be sure he had the right color green and then found a $2 shirt at Walmart.

Here is Tyler in his green shirt this morning:


Here is Tyler with the app using his green shirt to substitute another background:

Here is the green screen they used at school. It was the perfect color:


When he got to school today, most of his classmates thought it was hilarious. I was in the lunchroom when they came in to get their pictures taken and everyone was eager to see what would happen when Tyler sat in front of the screen.  Sadly, the photography company outsmarted him. When he sat down, they flipped the green background around to reveal a solid blue one. Everyone moaned. 

Tyler had fun with it, but he did really want the other pictures. The idea had grown on me, too, so I talked to the photographer afterward. I explained his intention and that I was ok with paying for it, and she told me that she would take his picture in his green shirt in front of the green background on retake day! So, Tyler will not be a floating head in the yearbook this year, but everyone will remember when they see his green-shirted picture that they all had a really good laugh together, and he will still have his bodiless school pictures to remember his 8th grade year.

And I will hang the school picture of his floating head with all the others on the day he graduates and smile as I remember his quirky sense of humor that didn't care what anyone else thought.

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Love it! I can't wait to see the floating head :)