Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Proud Mom Moment

During our after school download today, Danielle told me about art class. All the kids in class displayed pictures they've been working on for a couple weeks and then they all walked around the room and awarded ribbons to the pictures they liked best. Danielle was proud to tell me she got the most ribbons, especially after having a rather rude encounter with the art teacher about her picture earlier in the week. I was more proud of the rest of the story, though.

She said there is a boy in her class who "has problems". His picture was messy and scribbly and really didn't look very good. As she was going around the room, she noticed his picture didn't have any ribbons at all. The girl in front of her noticed, too, commented about it to Danielle, and then kept walking. Danielle told me she thought about how bad she would have felt, so she decided to give him her last ribbon. And then, because they saw her do it, the two girls behind her decided to give him their ribbons, too. She looked at me like I was slightly crazy when I teared up.

God has given her a compassionate heart, and I'm so thankful she follows it, regardless of what anyone else does. And today her example encouraged two other girls to be compassionate, too.

It wouldn't have mattered to me if she'd failed every test today, and she had 3. Learning to be kind and compassionate is a much more important lesson to master.

No comments: