Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Happy April Fool's Day!

Ron is out of town and Danielle had a fundraiser over dinner, so I didn't do anything special for them this year. I did decide to have fun with the lunch at school today, though.

This was the menu board, minus the selppa. I must have been too excited to get the apples ready and forgot to include them on the board. I joked with Tyler & Danielle that only the smart kids would be able to figure it out and maybe they could help the less intelligent kids. Probably not very nice, but sadly it was true. One kid wanted to know why we would write the menu in Latin. And he was serious.

This was what I was most excited about, though: WORMS! I found a "recipe" for jello worms shortly after April Fool's last year. I saved the recipe and decided to try it on a large scale this year. I tried it at home, and they turned out perfect. They looked just like fake fishing worms. When I made them on a larger scale, for some reason the whipping cream (used to make them look a little cloudy) separated from the jello as they set. That caused the worms to come out two tone. I was pretty disappointed, but they turned out pretty good once they were all cupped up with the apples.


 

 
 
It was a lot of work to make 900 worms and cup those up into almost 200 servings, but it was worth it. The ladies I worked with enjoyed it, and the kids enjoyed it. There is one girl who comes through the lunch line that always looks depressed. In the 2 years she's been at my school, I don't think I've ever seen her smile. Today she looked at the wormy apples and laughed out loud. That made the effort worth it.

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I love the worms!