Monday, September 09, 2013

This and That

Yep, I'm still alive. We've been busy getting readjusted to life during school. The kids and I were sick for a couple days, thankfully not all at the same time. I've been working a little extra while my boss, who is still battling cancer, tries to find a schedule her body can handle. Ron is adjusting nicely to his new home office. In fact, he designed (from scratch!) and built Megadesk.


Danielle's travel softball team has started fundraising. Although they won't play games until spring, they have costs for things now, such as rental of the indoor training facility, so we are all starting to make payments. Her first fundraiser is a sub sale. I abhor fundraisers and honestly would rather just write the check than suffer through them, so it is quite ironic that I ended up being in charge of fundraising!! I did a lot of research and think I've got prices as low as I can possibly get them. In fact, the profits per sub are a little over $3.25, which I think is pretty good. With little effort, she's already earned a good amount for her account. I think the "fun" part of this fundraiser will be assembling the subs. Should be messy and chaotic. She didn't want me to photodocument her fundraising attempts.

The other day Danielle and I saw a monarch in our flowers and got very excited. I've only seen 3 monarchs all summer, and this was the only one I'd seen actually land on something. I've seen reports from other places that have said the monarch counts are very low this year. That's sad. We haven't had any eggs or caterpillars at all this summer. I didn't see any eggs on my milkweed, but hopefully I just overlooked them.

Every summer Danielle and I talk about hand feeding a hummingbird. We usually put a little effort into it and then we give up. We haven't worked on it much this summer, but it seems that we have at least one little guy (gal) that might actually be willing. I took this with my cell phone tonight (not a zoom lens). I really was that close. I wish the phone's video quality was better. We only have a couple weeks left before they begin their migration south, so we'll have to get busy. :)

No comments: