Monday, September 30, 2013

More Mantises

I think our hungry praying mantis decided to hang out in our front bed for a couple days and feast on grasshoppers. Ron found him in the roses when he was trimming on Saturday and moved him to the lilac bush. I was able to relocate him yesterday and again today.

Danielle wants to enter the parks' photo contest again, so she was working on her photo entry. I gave her a little guidance and let her use my camera. Her picture turned out pretty good. These pictures are mine.







When I went out with my camera after dinner tonight, though, I couldn't find him. He may be hiding, or he may have moved. Or, this one may have eaten him. We found this one in another bush. I suspect it is a female, but I'm not 100% positive. Several people have mentioned seeing them lately, so I looked up some info about them. I guess this is their mating season, so they are more active than usual. I think they are kind of neat. They are very alert, and it's kind of cool how they track you with their creepy compound eyes.

3 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

It seems to me I read that the females eat the males after mating?

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Super creepy!!!

Lori said...

Often the female will eat the male during or after mating, but not all the time.