Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hummingbirds

I have a few more vacation pictures to post but I'm not done editing them yet. So, until then, here are some hummingbird pictures.

It is so difficult to get [what I consider] a good picture of a hummingbird. It takes a lot of trial and error, and the subject isn't always cooperative. Sometimes I'll think I have all my settings fixed, wait for a hummingbird to show up, and then get one chance to snap a few pictures before he decides he's done performing. When he's gone and I review the pictures, if my settings were off at all, I have to try again. It's also frustrating to sit and wait for 30+ minutes for a hummingbird to show up only to have a child whip the door open just as he finally makes an appearance! (I swear they do that on purpose.)But, I am thankful for lazy summer days and a little extra time to sit and stake out the hummingbird feeder. (I'm also thankful our neighbors pretty much just ignore me at this point.) This year I tried to plant some plants that would attract butterflies and hummingbirds. I haven't had much luck with butterflies, but the hummingbirds are happy. Here are some of my recent attempts. I wouldn't consider all of these great, but I am improving! I think all of these are of our resident immature male. (Click on the picture to see it in better detail.)
The shutter speed was a little too slow, but I like his ruffled tail feathers.







 

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

They are amazing! (Both the birds and your pictures!!)

Wandering Writer said...

Wow! Just wow!