Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Fair Day

Today was a fair day. The heat wave broke, the temps were wonderful, and the sky was blue. We had planned to go swimming today but it was too cool. Instead we decided to visit the county fair. (We save the state fair for a day when Ron can join us.)

We haven't gone in a couple years. Sadly, I think in that amount of time we have outgrown it. We quickly ran out of things to do. The rides were not appealing, there are only so many games on which to waste money, and Tyler isn't crazy about looking at the animals. I was hoping for an afternoon of entertainment. Didn't happen. We had a nice time in the hour or so we were there, it was just over very quickly.

We saw this on one of the horse stalls. I was amused.

He won a stuffed chili pepper. Danielle played, too, and won a seahorse. Tyler popped 2 balloons, Danielle popped 3. It didn't matter how many balloons they popped, though - apparently I didn't pay enough to guarantee them a larger prize.

There's not enough room to write my thoughts about this ride or the "gentleman" operating it. It was hard enough keeping my opinion to myself when Tyler asked to ride it.

I told the kids they could do 2 "things". Tyler opted for a game and the slide. Danielle played the dart game and this game. I only spent $2 for 8 balls. She was so disappointed she didn't win a fish, that Tyler pulled $5 of his own money out of his pocket and bought her a bucket of balls. No matter how far she reached, she still couldn't win a 33 cent fish. I think I want to spend a month during the summer running this game. Cha-ching!

I also agreed to buy them each 1 food item. I am holding the lemonade I purchased for Tyler. He used his own money to buy himself some cheese fries...which he declared was money very well spent.

This is the first time we've attended this county fair (neighboring county, not ours). I don't know if it's just a bad year or if it's always this bad, but I was not impressed with the folks running the games and rides. I have a teacher friend who calls herself a "carny". She runs a couple food stands at fairs and festivals during the summer. She is very well educated...and clean...and does not have to register with the local authorities when she moves, so I know non-scary people do this, too. Just not here apparently. But, it was entertaining. Which, I suppose, was my ultimate goal.

No comments: