Sunday, August 16, 2009

More Butterfly News

Danielle asked for more caterpillars for her birthday. She asked for them before we had any eggs on our milkweed plants. After the eggs, we thought we'd have all the caterpillars we'd need, but things didn't quite work out the way we'd planned. Yesterday Uncle Ron gave Danielle her birthday gift - 11 painted lady caterpillars. In my opinion, the painted lady caterpillars and butterflies are not nearly as pretty as the monarchs, but they are alive, which is a definite advantage! Danielle is so excited about having them. She carried the jars around for awhile this morning, debating about what to name each caterpillar. Really, the chatter went on for so long, I tuned her out and have no idea what names she decided on. They look to be several days old already, so I don't think we'll have to wait more than a few days for them to start making their chrysalises. And the net is HUGE. Tyler got in trouble several times for trying to fit his body inside it. I think Danielle is most excited about all the butterflies she'll be able to let sit on her fingers, like before.







And at the risk of jinxing myself, I'm going to mention our surviving monarch caterpillars. The day after I posted about our lone survivor, he died. I went out to check our outside plants that same day and miraculously found one tiny little caterpillar. I brought him in and hoped he would make it. Well, so far he is eating and growing. While Danielle and I were looking for him the other day, we found another one! He must be left from the 4 I originally brought inside. So, we're still holding out hope that we will eventually raise a monarch caterpillar to be a butterfly. I'm thankful we have the painted ladies, too!

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Wow that is one huge butterfly cage!! Hope your monarchs continue to surprise you :)