Friday, July 20, 2007

A Good Visit

Today the kids and I spent the day visiting with my aunt and cousins, who live about 1.5 hours away. We brought our bikes so we could enjoy part of the bike path near their house. The bike path replaced an old rail system through the area. Before riding, my aunt took us to a part of the path where the kids could explore a large engine, car, & caboose. It was really neat. Danielle thought it would be funny if I took a picture of her on the tracks in front of the train - as if she was about to be run over. If only we had some rope! Tyler enjoyed trying to figure out how all the parts worked. To his surprise, the real engine wasn't exactly like the engines portrayed in Thomas!







After checking out the train, we enjoyed a ride on the bike path. Including the return trip, the kids each rode a little over a mile. Not bad for little legs! They enjoyed seeing the horses and butterflies and riding with their cousins. They also enjoyed playing on the playground afterward. (They were pretending to be in jail.) The walk to the corner ice cream shop was a highlight, too.





My aunt lives right outside the town Ron & I lived in when we were first married. As we drove through town today, I enjoyed pointing out nostalgic landmarks to Tyler and Danielle: we lived down there. Daddy worked over there. We went to school over there. Etc. Tyler made the appropriate noises and acted interested. Danielle said nothing. I had to laugh to myself as I realized I was doing exactly what my mother used to do to me: boring me with places that meant something to her but not really that much to me. I hope I managed to make the appropriate noises back then, too. (Sorry Mom!)


We had a very nice day and made lots of fun memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mean you were bored? I remember taking the same type of trip with my dad, feeling the same as you did.