Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Silly Serenades

Tyler's teacher held parent-teacher conferences early in November. In the course of our discussion, she mentioned she didn’t find it particularly amusing when Tyler purposefully changed or made up words to songs during circle time. I didn’t tell her that was actually an improvement - in previous years he’s just observed. At least he’s getting involved this time. She cited one of Tyler’s more recent examples: “God is not my friend, not my friend…” You get the picture.

Tyler gets this honestly. From the time Tyler was teeny tiny Ron has always had fun making up songs or changing the words in an existing song to include something silly about the kids. It’s no wonder Tyler would do this, too. We never thought this would annoy his teacher someday. (A lot of other things have come to mind, but not this.) We talked to Tyler about it and agreed he could be silly like this at home but not at school.

Tyler had his 5 year check-up last week. (Yep, we’re a little behind.) His pediatrician asked how he was doing in school. I mentioned his teacher’s disdain for songs with extra lyrics inserted. Tyler’s doctor smiled and said, “Well, I think that’s actually pretty creative.” What a nice perspective. I almost hugged her.

Lately Tyler has been practicing the songs for his school program. He enjoys making up lyrics to those, too. His favorites are “Go Poop It on the Mountain” and the little Lord Jesus is “snoring”, rather than sleeping, in the hay in Away in a Manger. After he’s done giggling at himself, he rolls his eyes and says “I know, I know. I can’t sing it like that at school.” I can just see his teacher clutch at her chest and fall off her child-sized blue plastic chair while Tyler shouts out “Go poop it on the mountain!” (I have to admit I do find the thought a little amusing.)

Tyler was talking about his day on the way home from school today. He referred to something during circle time and said that every time his teacher said ABC, he added XYZ. (Sorry, don’t recall the exact statements.) He immediately added, “But I say it quietly so she won’t hear me”. I explained that adding words is just like changing the words and can’t be done at school, even quietly. Our conversation continued:

But I have to say it.

Well, think it in your head but don’t say it.

I don’t like to think it in my head. I like to say it.

That’s part of growing up - learning to keep some things in your head and not say everything you think

I almost choked on those last words as they came out of my mouth. Tyler may have gotten the creativity of changing the words in a song from his daddy, but he certainly got his inability to think without blurting from me.

No comments: