Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Happy 16th Birthday!

Tyler turned 16 on Thursday. As usual, Danielle gave him a couple of her gifts before school. We had pizza delivered to school so he could celebrate with his friends at lunch. We went out for dinner at his usual birthday favorite...he drove. Then we came home for presents and cake.




Tyler "requested" a chocolate and white cake with chocolate and white icing and "something cool" on it. I told him the only "cool" cake they get now is the back to school cake because I don't have enough creative energy left to come up with anything else. This earned me an eye roll and massive sigh.
4 alternating layers of chocolate and white cake, covered in chocolate frosting and then white frosting. The 16s are melted jolly ranchers I poured into my fondant mold. Silver candles and a light up "happy birthday " sign. That's all the "cool" I could muster.
 
 
In hindsight , I think he felt a little bad about the way in which he made the request. He told me multiple times how much he liked the cake and how much he appreciated everything I did.
I didn't have as much of a problem with him turning 16 as I thought I might. I guess I've had some time to warm up to it since he's been practicing his driving. That seems to be the significant part of turning 16. When I hugged him goodnight on Thursday night, though, it hit me that he'll be 17 next year. 17 is almost an adult. I'm glad I have another year to warm up to that.

No comments: