Thursday, August 17, 2017

Back to School

I have no idea where the summer went. One day we were watching fireworks with friends and the next we were shopping for school supplies. July seemed pretty much nonexistent. We had a good summer. It was busy. Both kids had a lot going on, so it was difficult to find time where the three of us could go do something together. We fit in what we could, though, and enjoyed it. I enjoyed time separately with the kids, too. I have a lot of pictures from this summer and several from vacation still that I'm planning to post once we settle into a routine and I have a couple minutes to myself in the evenings. In the meantime, enjoy some back to school photos.

Yesterday Tyler started 10th grade and Danielle started 8th.



I'm not sure how that happened since they are both still this size, right?!


They both had good first days. After all, it's the second best day of the school year! ;) The first day is always so full of hope and high expectations. And then comes the second day. (Just kidding!)

I started my 7th year in the kitchen. Most days I enjoy it. It is a struggle getting back into the routine of standing for 7 hours straight, though, after being off all summer.

I came up with the idea for this year's back to school cake pretty quickly, which is rare. I still stressed about it for a solid week before hand, but I at least knew what I was going to make. Tyler is taking his honors chemistry class for college credit this year. It's through a community college but taught at the high school. He had to apply to the college and test into the class, so it was kind of a big deal as a sophomore. I thought this theme was fitting. (There isn't an element with just the letter "L", so I picked "Li" because "lithium" was smaller to write than most of the other "L" words!)




I stress over this every year, but every year I know how excited the kids are about it and how much it means to them. I think it means even more to them now that they're older. And as stressed as I was, I was very much aware that I only have 2 cakes left that will include Tyler.

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

It is hard to believe they are so grown up! (And my kids keep turning the ages your kids just were, so that's hard too...) Your cake is amazing and your letters are so perfect, how did you do them?

Lori said...

I used a fondant letter & number mold for the big letters and numbers. Once I got the hang of it, it worked very well. For the small letters, and numbers... well... after stressing out about it for awhile, I decided to just write on the fondant with a sharpie. My hands are not steady enough to write that small with icing legibly. It wasn't how I originally intended to do it, but it was good enough. Sometimes good enough is the best you can hope for. :)