Saturday, September 10, 2016

Butterfly Visitors

My lantana has been a happening place for butterflies lately. The silver spotted skippers are the most prolific. I counted 15 at one time the other day.


Silver spotted skipper

Black swallowtail

Common checkered skipper

 
Pearl crescent
 



Peck's skipper

I've only seen two monarchs this summer, and one of them I know was a male. So...no eggs or caterpillars this summer. One of the metroparks said this year the monarchs have been very scarce around here. Their absence is partially due to their decline but also to a change of some sort to their usual migration patterns. Last year we had several, so I'm holding out hope that they'll be back in better numbers next summer.

This wasn't on my lantana but this guy has decided he likes our doorway. Every night for the past several nights he's made a very large web across the door of our sliding glass doors. (I can't shut the screen because a plant has vined its way up that...which is another post for another day.) As long as he stays outside, I don't think I should squish him, but I do wish he'd find some place else to hang out. I'm so afraid I'm going to stick my face in his web. He is rather large and is red and white striped. I
think it is an orbweaver of some type.


1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

We have seen much fewer monarchs this year too. Love skipper though!