Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Skating By

One of the items on Danielle's summer "to do" list was to go ice skating, so we did that today. When I say "we", I mean the kids. In the past I have skated with them, but Grandma came with us today and I felt like I should keep her company. And that's why Grandma didn't skate...because she had to keep me company. It really was a vicious circle but somehow we coped with having to sit and visit instead of crawling around the ice.

It's been awhile since we've gone and I wasn't as prepared as I usually am. We had enough socks and jackets, but I forgot to bring gloves and, most importantly, helmets. We debated for quite awhile about using the "used" helmets. Even the ones in the "clean" bins had hair stuck in them. Danielle was convinced they were all lice infested. We headed out to the ice without helmets. Once the kids went out onto the ice, they agreed that lice was better than broken heads and allowed me to find helmets for them. I tried to pick the helmets that looked the least likely to be infested. Time will tell.

The kids had fun. They clung to the wall for a few rounds at first until they got the hang of it. By the time we were ready to go, they were old pros - assuming old pros have wet knees from taking a tumble or two.

 
 
After skating we went to lunch and then to the pet store. The pet store wasn't where we were supposed to be going, but somehow it was where we ended up. Who can resist puppy snuggles and kitten meows? Although the puppies were more bitey than snuggly!

 
 
The summer is skating by. This was the last day for the kids to do anything together except for maybe the Monday before school starts. Thankfully we had a very nice afternoon together. We even had a nice family dinner this evening. That's always a bonus.

No comments: