Thursday, January 03, 2013

Sledding

We spent our last day of Christmas break at a nearby sledding hill. According to the news, there were only 2 days with colder temperatures than today in all of 2012. And we picked an outside activity for today! The thermometer in the car hovered around 19, but the kids assured me they were warm enough. I'd like to point out that 1. Tyler's winter coat is too small but we didn't discover that until last week because he has refused to wear it this season so 2. He is wearing a SHERPA hoodie, 2 long sleeve shirts, and a long sleeve thermal shirt (in addition to 2 pairs of pants). Both kids worked up a sweat hiking up that hill, though, and had to remove layers. At various points of the afternoon they tried to get rid of their gloves and hats, too, but I tried to make them keep those on. I am positive that I was the coldest one of the three of us today! We were out around 3 hours, and we had a great time!! It was one of those days where everyone woke up in good moods, got along nicely, and enjoyed being together. That may not sound significant, but when you have a tween in the house, it is! It was a great ending to a very nice break!

Here are some pictures and videos from our outing.





















I took this with my phone, and it's not very good, but I think it's funny because you can see her pony tails fly up and hear her squeal with each bump she hits. (And there were a lot of bumps!) That is Tyler at the beginning, but he was kind of boring. :) If you click on the box in the bottom right corner, you can view the video full screen.






















Danielle is most proud of this video. As you can see, she figured out how to redirect herself somewhat and was trying to wipe me out. I've been trying to post a video she took, but it isn't uploading. I'll add that later if I can get it to work.







The only negative of the whole day was a failure on my part. Before we left I got everything in the slow cooker to have beef stroganoff for dinner. While I was standing out there this afternoon, frozen to the core, I kept thinking of that hot, rich dinner waiting for me. When we got home, I discovered I had forgotten to plug in the slow cooker. It was on, just not plugged in.

No comments: