Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back to School

Today was the first day of school. Our elementary school building is brand new this year, and both kids were excited about their teachers and classmates, so today wasn't as painful as it could have been. I started working part-time as the cashier in the Jr. High cafeteria today, too. It's been almost 10 years since I've "worked", so it was a big day for all of us.


Here is a picture I took yesterday of the new elementary school building. This is just a small portion of the beautiful new building. It is huge! It is air conditioned! It has security cameras and locks on the doors! Most classrooms are nearly twice as large as the classrooms at our old building...which doubled as a bomb shelter. I found it pretty amusing when the kids told me about someone throwing up down the stairs and in the hall today. When kids are involved, "new" doesn't last very long!




My 4th grader





















My 2nd grader





























We are now considered walkers. The kids have been looking forward to riding their bikes to school all summer. We had a bit of an issue with the bike helmets, though. Our kids always wear helmets, but they really didn't want to mess up their hair before their first day of school. Since they ride on sidewalks and the ride isn't too long, I agreed they could go without them on the way to school. I brought them with me when I met them after school and they wore them home.























Our annual back-to-school cake. Last year's cake is hard to top, so I didn't try. I didn't have as much free time today, either. Hopefully you can tell these are supposed to be books! Tyler could tell from a distance, so I felt like I was successful. (The top book is actually a brownie because Danielle doesn't like cake.) Our annual cake has become something the kids look forward to, and it's a fun tradition. It's one of those "mom jobs" that I really enjoy!






















Speaking of jobs, mine went just fine. As odd as it sounds, I was actually excited about going in today. The kids aren't sure what to think about me having a job. At first they were disappointed I wouldn't be volunteering in their lunchroom again this year. Yesterday I asked Danielle if it would be easier or harder to go back to school knowing I wouldn't be home anyway. She said, "It will be easier because I won't be worried about you." I think it's sweet that she worries about me being lonely while they're at school. If she only knew. ;)










2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

Glad to hear the job went well. I was thinking of you.

Lori said...

Thanks. My daughter was praying for me, too. She told me when it was quiet time and her teacher was reading to them she took a minute to pray for me.