Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tender Arms & Tender Hearts

We took advantage of the beautiful weather and did some yard work and such this weekend. While Ron and Danielle washed the car, I used a 6' stepladder and attempted to clean the outside windows - the transoms and the tops of the windows that don't fold in for cleaning.

There is a little warning sign on the topmost rung of stepladders, and I learned that it is actually a pretty important sign to heed. In case you're unfamiliar with the sign to which I am referring, I'll paraphrase: Do not climb here because it's too high and you will most likely fall and kill yourself. Well, I didn't kill myself, but I did fall. Oddly enough, in the millisecond I realized I was going to fall and nothing would stop that, I thought to myself, "Oh, so this is what it feels like to fall off the top of a ladder!" I don't know why, but I've often wondered how bad it would really hurt to fall from the top. (I know, I'm weird.) I'm sure it would have hurt much worse had the ladder been taller or I actually fell ONto something. As it was, I ended up with a couple bumps, a rather colorful bruise, and am a little sore today, but it certainly could have been worse.


Tonight when I was putting Tyler to bed, he bumped a tender spot on my arm when he hugged me goodnight. When I grimaced, he asked if I was ok. Then he did something that made my insignificant fall all worth it. He said, "Mom, I'm going to pray for you." And he did! He immediately closed his eyes and said a very sweet prayer for me. That might not seem like much, but that is totally out of character for Tyler. He prays nearly the exact same prayer every single night, and it's usually quite focused on himself (as I imagine the prayers of most 9 year old boys are). There have been other little moments like that lately that have made me look twice. Don't get me wrong - he still picks on his sister and is mouthy to us - but I get the feeling that God is beginning a work in his tender young heart.