Monday, November 29, 2010

Not the Hokey Pokey

First, I want to follow up from my last post. I am very grateful for all the comments of support, not just left here but for all the comments I received over the long weekend. It was nice to have those in the back of my mind today when the GS leader had a "follow-up" conversation with me, although we didn't have a GS meeting today. Honestly, I thought the matter was resolved, but apparently I needed an "explanation". I'm not blaming the leader - she's a volunteer who's never done this before and was speaking for the "leadership" group, but I left this conversation feeling, again, like I was the one in the wrong. Although they've decided not to sing this particular song anymore, she made it clear that no one else had a problem with it. She pulled out the lyrics and emphasized that it's just a fun song, and even if we don't sing it at our little meetings, it will probably be sung at larger gatherings. She also made it known that the lady who sang the song was terribly embarrassed and spent quite a bit of time crying about it. (I'm pretty sure this lady cries about everything, though.) I'm really not sure what I was supposed to do with this "explanation".


I came home, a bit upset, and told Ron about our conversation. The kids were bustling about in the kitchen while we were talking, but I figured they were listening in. After a few minutes Tyler came in, sat down, and said, "Mom, you did a really good job standing up for what you thought was right."

And that's what it's all about.



On to other things...


We had a very nice Thanksgiving. Our highlight was getting to spend time with Ron's family. Everyone was in town, so the kids celebrated their Christmas with each other. I think that was a minor highlight, though. They all just enjoyed playing together. Danielle especially was sad when everyone left. It was neat to see all the different personalities, yet there were so many similarities, too. I thought it was a really good day.



I was sick yesterday. Strep & the stomach flu have been going around and have hit most of the houses around us. Fortunately we've been pretty healthy. Everyone else is fine, but I had the stomach flu yesterday. I have to confess, it was kind of nice to be sick for a day. (It was just a 24 hour bug.) I got to stay in bed most of the day and didn't have to cook. It was kind of a mini vacation with just a little inconvenience to tolerate.



I had a hard time shipping the kids off to school today. It was nice to have them home for the long weekend. I think we should just take December off and they can go back in January. Maybe.

1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

Dad was sick on Sunday so you two can point fingers at each other ;-) Wouldn't be Thanksgiving without someone getting sick, right? Thankful the little ones weren't and hopefully everyone makes it home without incident.