Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tyler's Birthday

Today is Tyler's 9th birthday! Thankfully today was an early release day at school, so he got out a couple hours early. We had a last-day-of-summer heat wave (91 today), so he took in popsicles for his birthday treat. They were a hit. And even better, I didn't have to cook anything extra!!



One of Tyler's presents was a coupon redeemable for one day off school. He can't use it on the day of a known test or on a day when I have to volunteer at the school, otherwise he can use it when he feels he needs it. Danielle thought it was totally unfair that he got that for his birthday!


















Tyler asked for a skateboard for his birthday, although he later confessed he never thought he'd get one. It was difficult to find one that didn't have skulls or skeletons or demon type drawings on it! As you can see, Tyler was very excited to get it. I ran out of "boy" paper and had to use "girl" paper. I wrapped it inside out, but you can still see the butterflies in the pictures. Please don't tell him - he was quite concerned about that showing up in the pictures.
















Tyler actually did very well on his skateboard. I was really impressed! It wasn't long before he could go a good way without falling/jumping off. With more practice, I think this is something he'll be able to do well. He's already looking forward to his first trip to a skate park. We are a loooong way from that!





































I made Tyler a volcano cake. I think he was pleased with it. Dry ice created a little smoke for the erupting volcano. Dry ice is just so much fun!



























I think Tyler had a good day. When I tucked him in tonight, we talked about the day he was born. He always thinks it's funny to hear about peeing on the nurse right after he was born. What I remember the most about that day is the intense, overwhelming feeling of love that washed over me when I held our tiny son for the first time. 9 years later he still has that same affect on me, although he is much more difficult to hold!

2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

He was the best anniversary present we got!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Loooooove the cake! I am a big fan of dry ice too! Happy Birthday Tyler!! :)