Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Right to Read Week

The kids are celebrating Right to Read Week at school this week. They're supposed to keep track of the books they read and document their time. Tyler is up to 6 hours, and Danielle is up to 1 1/2 hours.


Tyler just likes to read. Most of the time I don't have to ask or encourage him. I just need to be sure I've got a good selection of books waiting for him on the end table. He read 5 of the 8 Captain Underpants books this weekend. He also finished the 3rd Harry Potter book and moved on to the 4th. He's reading the Fudge series by Judy Blume at school right now, but his favorite books are the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. I think he's read all of them at least twice. In this picture he's reading a Ripley's Believe It or Not book. He really enjoys non-fiction.


Danielle is doing a great job learning to read and is working very hard. It's hard for me to tell just how well she's doing because Tyler was so far ahead at her age. She can also easily memorize a book after reading it only once, so it's hard for me to tell what she really knows vs what she has memorized. I try to constantly change her supply of library books to keep her on her toes. She's still reading the Pre-Level 1 or Level 1 books but is quickly expanding her reading vocabulary. She especially likes reading about animals. I'm looking forward to her becoming a little stronger at reading because there are so many good "girly" books I think she'll really enjoy.


Anyway, both kids are doing well on their charts. I've been teasing them that maybe they'll both earn an "I love books" sign this year.

No comments: