Thursday, September 10, 2009

Finally - a Butterfly!

This is what the chrysalis looked like this morning:







This is what it looked like this afternoon:












Here she is drying her wings:












The other butterfly should eclose tomorrow. It seems like a long time since the fogger came through and killed most of our caterpillars. I'm so glad we managed to get at least one monarch from egg to butterfly! I think the one that will eclose tomorrow is also a female. I think the caterpillar we found last week is a male, though. I'm thinking about keeping a male and female just long enough to see if she'll lay eggs on my milkweed plants (inside the enclosure). I'd hate for her to lay all 500 of her eggs in there, though!! I certainly can't feed that many caterpillars! I think we have enough time for one more batch to grow before it gets too cold for them here. I thought it would be kind of fun for Danielle to take a few chrysalises in for her class to watch, too. We'll see what happens. Regardless, I'm pleased we made it this far!

No comments: