Thursday, July 23, 2009

VBS II

Our summer has suddenly slowed way down. This is the first week we haven't been out doing something, somewhere every day, and I've tried very hard to keep it that way. My house was looking so messy!

The kids are attending VBS at Mamaw's church during the evenings this week. I felt kind of bad that Tyler missed out on Bible school when Danielle went, so I thought this would be a good opportunity. I also thought Mamaw might enjoy having them there. The most convincing reason, though, was that this VBS is in the evening. That means Ron and I have 2 1/2 hours to ourselves every evening. Mamaw's church is on the other side of the world from us, so we can't really drop them off, come home, and then go back and pick them up. Instead, we've enjoyed quiet, no-whining, no-arguing, chewing-with-your-mouth closed dinners out. Afterward, we've found a nice, quiet place to park and have...read. Yep, we're old and that's not at all romantic, but it's been a wonderful way to spend the week. The kids are really enjoying themselves. Although it's the same theme, Danielle says it's better than the other one she attended. All the crafts have been different than the ones she already did, and the closing stories have been somewhat different, too. I don't know how to explain it, but I feel like this Bible school has somehow been more spiritual. It has made for some very late evenings, though. The kids haven't gotten to bed before 10 all week. Some things are more important than getting to bed on time, though.

We're taking Clara in to have her spayed tomorrow. As you can imagine, that has created quite a bit of questions from the kids. When we took Clara to the pet store this afternoon, Tyler told everyone who stopped to pet her that "she's having surgery tomorrow so she won't have any puppies". Among other questions, Tyler asked if the vet was actually going to remove a body part. Thankfully he stopped short of asking which body part, for now anyway. Danielle focused most of her before bed prayer praying for Clara - that her surgery will go well and that we won't be sad and miss her too much. It was very sweet.

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Wish Clara a speedy recovery for me ;)

Caleb was asking me questions about a specific body part -that only boys have- that he had not noticed until recently. I told him that he and daddy had it, but Annalise and I did not. For whatever reason he asked, "Does Mako have one too?" and I had to answer, "No, not anymore." So of course he wanted to know what had happened to it! I told him it had been cut off when he was a puppy - and Caleb was totally aghast!

Lori said...

That is so funny. It does sound rather barbaric, doesn't it?!