Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Preschool Performance & the "B" Word

When Tyler got home from school today, he excitedly replayed his day for me, like he usually does. Today's recap ended with "And ** got in trouble in gym today for saying the "b" word! He got in a lot of trouble!" Again, I felt the need to find out exactly what Tyler meant by "the b word", so I cautiously asked him what the "b" word was. He shook his head and said, "Mom, we've talked about this before. You know (he pointed & whispered) wiener." Phew. I don't know how we keep managing to avoid these close encounters. Fortunately Tyler's too lazy to think out the logistics of a "b" word starting with a "w". When he retold the story to Ron tonight, it came out that he didn't actually hear the expletive as it happened, but he did get to observe the fallout.

Danielle's preschool class took a trip to a nursing home today to sing for the elderly residents. Danielle was a little nervous, but I assured her no one would throw footballs at her like her 97 year old aunt did the last time we visited. (All in good fun, of course.)

The kids sang 6 or 7 songs for the room full of residents and then passed out pictures they colored to each of the residents who attended. Here are a couple videos.





I have to admit that I was totally caught off guard at the nursing home today. When we walked into that room full of elderly women, I couldn't help but think of my grandma, who passed away almost a year ago. While I watched the kids sing, I was struck by how much joy it would have brought my grandma to hear these little children - and especially her great granddaughter - singing about Jesus in their precious little voices, and I cried. It didn't help any when Danielle decided to give her picture to the one lady in the room who really looked like my grandma. When the kids were all done, one lady stood up, said some very kind things about the kids, and thanked them all for coming. She was 105, which Danielle later declared was "even older than Dad!"

No comments: