Sunday, August 19, 2007

Un-Noteworthy Events of the Past Week

As many of you know, I used my birthday money to buy a very inexpensive sewing machine. The last time I sewed on a sewing machine was in the 8th grade, which was sadly about 20 years ago. (Am I really that old??) I have always thought it would be fun to learn how to sew, so instead of spending my birthday money on winter clothes for the kids (as I usually do), I actually spent it on myself. It took me quite awhile to work up enough courage to even open the box. Once I opened the box, I read through the instructions, felt overwhelmed, and stuck everything back in the box. After a couple days, I finally worked up the courage to thread the thing. Then I put it back in the box. This past week Danielle asked me to fix a seam on one of her Barbie's bags. The time had come to actually sew something. Somehow I actually managed to get a stitch in the seam! Danielle was so excited, she was certain I could make her Barbies a pillow now. So I tried. After I turned the bobbin the right way, I found it a little easier to sew. :) My pillow certainly wasn't perfect, but it was in Danielle's eyes. With all the praises the kids lavished upon me, I must admit that I felt pretty good about myself. Barbie looked satisfied, too.

Another thing I've wanted to learn how to do is to create hairbows. There are lots of websites that will provide me with a document that will teach me how to create money-making hairbows...after I send them $19.95. I don't really care about making money with them, but I would like to be able to make nice bows to match Danielle's outfits (without spending a fortune). I refuse to pay someone for information like that, so I took apart one of Danielle's inexpensive bows to get an idea. I would really like to learn how to make the bigger ones with contrasting grosgrain ribbons...blah blah blah...but I'll have to work my way up to that. Anyway, I bought some barrettes from the craft store today, found Ron's glue gun, and pulled out some extra ribbon I had from another craft. Here is my first attempt. I don't think it's too bad. Danielle, however, declared it was quite ugly because she doesn't like plaid. I tried to explain that it was the only ribbon I had, but she didn't care. "Ugly ugly ugly," she said.

In other un-noteworthy news this week, Danielle took great pride in painting her fingernails by herself.


Our smoke detectors went off for no explainable reason around midnight Tuesday night. Ron and I allowed ourselves a split second of panic before we raced upstairs to rescue the kids. Danielle was already out of her bed, tears streaming down her face. Tyler was still asleep, mouth hanging open. The smoke detectors stopped almost as quickly as they started, but it took us all awhile to settle down. But, we were not on fire and we were able to review our fire emergency plan with the kids, so I guess it all ended well (especially the part about not being on fire!).

Tyler interrupted our conversation at least 3 times this weekend to declare he knew the words Ron and I were spelling in an attempt to talk around him. Each time he was exactly right, which means we're going to have to practice our igpay atinlay.

We're getting ready to start our last free week before school starts. Danielle has preschool orientation on Tuesday, and Tyler has kindergarten registration on Thursday. Can't believe the time is finally upon us.

No comments: