Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Countdown to Kindergarten

Now that it's August, I'm forced to turn my thoughts toward the rapidly approaching school year. I have to admit that my stomach churns a little every time I think about Tyler starting school. So many thoughts crowd my mind when I try to verbalize how I'm feeling about it all. I guess it all boils down to this: It's the end of a stage of our lives that I have really really enjoyed. I understand it is also the beginning of a new stage that will have its good times, too, but I can't help but feel a little emotional about it at the moment.


That said, I got a grip on my emotions and took Tyler shopping for his school supplies tonight. He had a lot of fun picking out his folders, pencils, backpack, scissors, crayons, and glue sticks. He enjoyed telling the cashier about starting kindergarten. I think he's having mixed feelings about starting school, so it was nice to see him get excited. (Nothing gets you prepared for school better than the smell of new crayons!)


After buying all his supplies, the two of us went out for ice cream. We walked around the pond by the ice cream place and laughed at all the big frog eyes sticking up out of the water. We scared a few frogs and giggled together when they croaked at us. It was a nice time.


At one point tonight Tyler said, "It's really strange, but the days are going so fast now." That's exactly how I feel about the past 5 years.


Only 27 more days until school starts.

No comments: