Monday, June 13, 2016

Little Stinkers

One of our neighbors has the privilege of hosting a momma skunk and her babies under their shed. Thankfully they're not right next door to us, but they are within smelling distance.

We first noticed the babies when we came home after dark one evening. Two of the babies were strolling down the sidewalk. They are so very cute. I went over the next day in the hopes of getting a couple pictures from a distance. The babies really didn't cooperate for pictures; My view was always obstructed and I could never get more than one out at a time. Apparently there were 7 of them! Although they looked like they were going through the motions, they didn't appear to be able to spray. Danielle got pretty close to one of them, and I felt like we were pushing our luck. Those little stinkers will work eventually.

Turns out I was right. The next day we smelled a faint skunk odor at our house. Turns out one of the babies sprayed some chickens a few houses down from them. I guess I have all the pictures I'm going to get!

Our neighbors looked into having the skunks removed professionally. You aren't allowed to relocate them, so they would have to be killed. It was $199 for the first skunk and $99 for each additional skunk. That's a small fortune! They tried to trap the babies themselves before they got their stinkers, but it seems like the process may have taken a little too long. I'm glad they aren't in our yard but I'm glad I got to see them.




1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Too bad about the smell! They really are cute :)