Friday, November 30, 2012

Our Elf

A couple years ago, when Danielle was in first grade and Tyler was in 3rd grade, I thought it would be fun to join the Elf on the Shelf craze. I sold something on Craigslist and used the money to buy our own elf. I SO wish someone would have warned me what a giant pain in the butt this thing is!!

In case you don't know, the elf comes to visit around Christmas every year. Danielle decided our elf, who the kids named Candy Cane, comes the day after Thanksgiving. The elf observes the kids during the day and reports back to Santa at night while they sleep. This is how Santa knows if they've been naughty or nice. He returns before they wake up and is supposed to show up in a new spot each day. He stays in that same spot all day and can't be touched or he will lose his magic (i.e. your child will realize he is an overpriced piece of cheap plastic covered in felt). On Christmas Eve he leaves until the following Christmas. Since our elf's name is Candy Cane, he leaves candy canes on the tree when he leaves for the year.

The past two years I have been very uninspired when it comes to moving Candy Cane around. He would pretty much alternate between the window sill, the kitchen light, and the Christmas tree. Often I would be almost asleep and suddenly jump out of bed because I realized I forgot to move the stupid elf. The year we got Candy Cane was the year Tyler figured out the truth about Santa. I don't think the elf helped. Tyler didn't understand why an elf would have a "tush tag". True. I cut it off that night. Once he knew the truth about Santa and he realized how I felt about the elf, he thought it was funny to burden me further. He would encourage Danielle to write nice, long letters to Candy Cane (expecting a letter in return) and would wonder loudly why Candy Cane would sit in the same spot for 2 days in a row. This year I vowed to do better.




There are so many ideas on pinterest about creative things to do with your elf. I really haven't looked for any ideas, but so many other people do and then facebook about it, that I don't really have to search! So, now that you have the background, I thought I'd post a picture or two every once in awhile until Candy Cane leaves. I took these with my cell phone so they don't look very good, but you get the idea. And in case anyone is wondering, yes, as far as I know, Danielle still believes in Santa. I imagine this will be the last year for that magic, so we will just enjoy it while it lasts.

2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

You amaze me.

Lori said...

I'm just a copycat!